Overall Postharvest Rating
Highest scoring clones: AO96164-1, A93157-6LS, AO96160-3, AOA95155-7
Lowest scoring clones: ATX91137-1Ru, MWTX2609-2Ru, RB, CO95172-3Ru
Low temperature Sweetening
Most resistant: A93157-6LS, AO96164-1
Most susceptible: ATX91137-1Ru, MWTX2609-2Ru, CO95172-3Ru
Highest rated: AOA95155-7, A92294-6, AO96160-3, A93157-6LS
Lowest rated: ATX91137-1Ru, A95109-1, MWTX2609-2Ru, RB
Blackspot Bruise Susceptibility
Most resistant: AOA95155-7, ATX91137-1Ru
Most susceptible: RR, MWTX2609-2Ru, A93157-6LS, TXA549-1Ru, CO94035-15Ru
Variability in Tuber Shape & Fry Yield (8- to 10-oz tubers)
Least variable: ATX91137-1Ru, TXA549-1Ru, CO95086-8Ru, A95109-1
Most variable: AO96164-1, CO94035-15Ru, A93157-6LS, A92030-5
- When averaged across states, all entries except ATX91137-1Ru and MWTX2609-2Ru received higher overall postharvest scores than Russet Burbank.
- AO96164-1 was the highest rated entry, accumulating 34.4 of 38 possible points. This clone, along with A93157-6LS (2nd highest rated entry), had significant resistance to low temperature sweetening, producing USDA 0 to 1 fries (darkest end) when stored for 60 days at 40oF. These two clones were rated among the top three in the 2004 trials.
- ATX91137-1Ru consistently produced tubers with 1.067 specific gravities, too low for processing contracts. However, this clone, along with AOA95155-7 appears to have considerable bruise resistance. At the other extreme, the gravity of A92294-6 averaged 1.099, which is too high for most processing contracts.
- AOA95155-7, A92294-6, AO96160-3, and A93157-6LS were the favorites in the taste panels, receiving ratings of 3.5 to 3.7 (5 is best) when averaged across growing locations. ATX91137-1Ru, A95109-1, and MWTX2609-2Ru received the lowest taste panel ratings, with average scores of 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9, respectively.
- On average, the WA-grown samples fried darker than ID and OR samples after 60 days of storage at all three temperatures. Fry color was non-uniform from bud to stem end for many of the clones, regardless of production site and storage temperature. AOA95155-7 produced mottled fries from all states and storage temperatures. TXA549-1Ru had random blotches of purple discoloration in the periderm.
- Bacterial soft rot susceptibility was relatively equal across clones.
- On average, ID-grown tubers had the highest L/W ratios (8-10 oz tubers) compared with those grown in WA and OR. TXA549-1Ru, CO94035-15Ru, A92030-5, A95109-1, A93157-6LS, and PA97B3-2 had the lowest L/W ratios (average=1.57), reflecting round tubers. A92294-6 and AO96164-1 had the highest L/W ratio (1.76) of the numbered entries, well below RB and RR (1.96 and 1.89, respectively). AO96164-1, CO94035-15Ru, A93157-6LS, and A92030-5 had the greatest variation in shape of 8- to 10-oz tubers across states. The L/W ratios of ATX91137-1Ru and TXA549-1Ru were least affected by growing location.